Looking a wireless pet fence for your dog? You’ve come to the right place! Here on Wireless Pet Fence Review we will be reviewing all the top fences and containment systems to keep your dog safe and secure within the boundaries of your home or garden.
The following are a few questions you might have when buying a fence.
What are the benefits of a wireless pet fence?
Some people worry about the ethics of using such a system, however pet fences can quite literally be a life saver, particularly if your dog is prone to running out onto a road or is prone to leaving your premises every time they see another dog.
The following are some of the main benefits:
- Wireless: You don’t need to worry about putting wires underground or about ruining wires when landscaping. There are NO wires involved.
- Easy to use: Most dogs are very easily trained with these systems – it often only takes a few days although it is important to continue training for approximately 2 weeks.
- Secure containment: This is a much more secure containment system than a physical fence. The dog cannot jump over, chew their way, or tunnel under the fence. And there’s no need to worry about accidentally leaving the gate open!
- Price: Wireless dog fences these days are extremely affordable. Traditional fences can cost upwards of $1000, but many top of the range dog containment systems cost no more than $300.
Are there disadvantages?
- Training: A wireless pet fence will not work without you training your dog. Some dogs need the very minimum amount of training (many users of the Petsafe Wireless Pet Containment System found their dogs learned to respond to the warning beep in just 1-2 days). However it is recommended that you should spend approximately 2 weeks training the dog so that they know to ‘turn and retreat’ when they hear the warning sound.
- Minimum Yard Size : Your dog needs to have a space to play, so for a fence system to work you will need a yard dimension of at least 15 feet. Most containment systems work in an adjustable circular area
- Power Source: You need to have an electrical outlet in close proximity to where you want to contain your pet (this can still be indoors).
Who should NOT use a dog fence?
- Aggressive dogs: If your dog is particularly aggressive with strangers an electronic fence may not be enough to contain the animal. It might be a good idea to use a physical fence as well as an electronic fence for extra security.
- Pregnant or infirm dogs: A dog that is infirm or in the latter stages of pregnancy should not be trained using a dog fence. When your dog is back to normal you can then introduce the fence. Remember you should not start training a puppy with this method before the age of 6 months, and smaller dogs (under 10lbs) should only be trained using a fence designed specifically for smaller dogs.
- Owners who don’t want to train: If you’re not ready to commit to spending some time training your dog, then it’s likely a wireless pet fence is not for you. Most fence manufacturers recommend you will need to spend approximately 2 weeks (no more than 3 x 15 minute sessions per day) teaching your dog discipline and boundaries – the fence will not work by itself.
How much should I expect to pay?
It depends on what you’re looking for exactly, however the wireless and in-ground fence systems generally cost between $200 and $350. It’s possible to pay as much as $2000+, although we don’t think it’s necessary to pay quite so much because the cheaper alternatives work just as well.
Where is the best place to buy a pet fence?
There are a number of pet product stockists online that have different types of fences and containment systems available. After checking out availability, prices and ranges we found Amazon often offers the best value for money. For example you can buy the Petsafe Wireless Containment System on the official Petsafe website for $299.99, OR you could buy it on Amazon and get it for just over $200.00 with FREE shipping (a saving of over $90).
Where can I find reviews of the best wireless pet fence?
Right here of course! We recommend you check out our detailed review of the top rated product, the Petsafe Wireless Containment System. This is one of the most popular containment systems on the market, and out of 307 reviews on Amazon has an average rating of 4 out of 5.